Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Valley News Live... My thoughts this evening.


Valley News Live Posted this on their Facebook page today.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/24568086/buried-fire-hydrants-are-a-real-concern-for-local-fire-departments

I was reading a lot of the comments... and I was surprised by how many took a complacent attitude about the fire hydrants in Fargo-Moorhead being buried by snow.

Has society really become so lazy that they just "expect" someone else should take care of it?
Has society really become so self-entitled they can really believe it's not their problem?

This is a terrifying thought to me!

Some said that "prisoners should do it."

Prisoners could do it- I suppose....

But do you realize if it's in your yard in the summer- it's your job to mow around it too... so perhaps this job lands on the homeowners living on that lot???? 

I also think the response of, "it's the city's job....." is ridiculous.

As far as it being the city's job.. seriously- they don't mow the boulevard in front of your home- in fact they (the city workers) bury it in snow every winter too..... if you want it beautified or useful... you do it. 

The fire hydrant problem could also be solved on a rotation basis between all neighbors in a 6 house circumference?

I for one can't afford to take a $150,000 loss on my home (not to mention my family's belongings) just because, "the city should take care of it."

So I dig out the one closest to my home regularly, much to the chagrin of the homeowner on that lot- they DO NOT like me walking along "their yard" to shovel it out.  I like to think that IF their home should ever catch on fire- that they will appreciate the work- albeit too late.

But you know shoveling it out isn't the only problem... they also tend to freeze closed... I can't imagine worse than your house being on fire- the firefighters waste precious time shoveling it out... find out it's frozen and have to shovel out the next closest one too BEFORE they can ever get to your home.... take the preventative measure... clear out the one closest to you.

In our area- we tend to be very cold... and this year- about 6 blizzards in as many weeks with up to -60 windchill temps.... I don't blame the fire department for not wanting to shovel in that- and if you feel it's their job- perhaps they feel like you should put out your own fire.... and they won't have to freeze.  I bet you don't like that option now do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment